February 5 – The latest data released by the Global Wind Energy Council (GWEC) shows North, Central and South America has installed 11.9 GW capacity of wind power in 2018, an increase of 12% on last year. In North America (Canada and USA) new capacity additions grew by 10.8% compared to 2017. In Latin America new capacity additions grew by 18.7% compared to 2017.
- The Americas make up about 25% of the total new global installed capacity in 2018
- Total installed wind capacity in North, Central, South America is now 135 GW
- Leading countries in the region include: USA, Brazil and Mexico
- Colombia prepares to hold first auction and join regional push for wind power
- The surge for wind in the Americas is expected to continue with GWEC forecasting over 60 GW new capacity between 2019 to 2023
Stay tuned for the full Global Wind Report released in April.