The Switch is a global company with offices both within the European Union and outside, as such your personal data may be transferred outside the European Union. The countries to which your data is transferred may not provide the same level of data protection as your home country. Despite this, when transferring personal data to foreign countries, we will always look after its safety by ensuring that there is a legal basis for the transfer and that applicable laws governing data transfers are followed.
- Why we gather personal information
We gather personal information for various purposes to conduct our business activities, including the following:
- to sell products and services
- to purchase products and services
- to deliver products or services
- to provide customer support for sold products or services
- to secure and optimize the website experience
- to monitor our website traffic
- to provide marketing communication
- to carry out recruitment & employment processes
- to enable us to fulfil our legal and contractual obligations
- Personal data collection
We also collect personal identifying data for:
- Sales & sourcing purposes: when you order our products and services, or you sell products and services to us.
- Marketing & promotional purposes: when you order newsletters, download materials, leave a contact request, use our web services (including our social media platforms) and participate in our events.
- Recruitment & employment purposes: when you submit a job application to our recruitment system.
The types of personal information we collect from you include:
- Your name, job title
- Email address, phone number, street address
- Company name, industry and segment
- Customer type, job function
- Purchasing authority
- Product and service preferences
- Educational and employment background, and job interest data
- Data based on the information on your CV
- IP address and information concerning your visit on our website
- How do we use your personal information
The Switch and our selected third parties may use the information we collect to inform you – by letter, e-mail, phone or SMS – about promotions, news, and new products that we think may be of interest to you. If you do not wish to receive marketing information from us, please indicate this where requested on the registration or request forms.
This enables us to supply you with a more personalized experience on our website and in our communications with you.
Your data is used neither for automatic decision making nor for profiling.
- Transfers of personal data
We may use service providers which can access your information outside the EU/EEC, e.g. from the USA. The Switch is responsible for the transfer being done in a legal and adequate way in accordance with the legislation regarding handling of personal data.
Your personal data can be transferred in accordance with the demands set by a competent authority and in accordance with the conditions based on law.
- Information security and storage
Protecting registered data is important for us. The data is stored in electronic systems, which are protected by firewalls, passwords and other technical solutions. Only our staff, and those of our selected third party suppliers, who need to know have access to your information in order to perform their assigned task of complying with your requests or supplying you with our service. Everyone using the register is bound by confidentiality.
We store personal data only as long as is necessary for achieving the purposes defined in this policy description acknowledging the limitations set out in the applicable laws. Due to obligations in the applicable legislation, the data might have to be stored longer than the time period mentioned above.
Outdated and unnecessary information will be destroyed in an appropriate manner. The data will be stored in the register in the same way as you have reported it to us and the data will be updated when we are informed of any updates or deletions by you.
- Your rights
Upon request, you are entitled to obtain free-of-charge information on any personalized data that has been stored about you. The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) (EU) 2016/679 also entitles you to have this personal data corrected, blocked or deleted. For these purposes, please contact our Data Protection Team by email.
Your Rights include, to the extent set forth in the GDPR:
- Right to access
- Right to oppose and limit the handling of personal data
- Right to be “forgotten”
- Right to have wrongful data corrected or imperfect data complemented.
- Right to transfer your personal data
- Prohibition against direct marketing
- Right of appeal
- Contact information
The Switch Engineering
Data Protection Team
FI-00510 Helsinki, Finland